Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fragmented!

Sitting in bed with Toonces (one of our two cats)on my feet, I am trying to think about what to write since I feel I should. Why do I think this...well I have a tendency to start things and not follow through with them. I also know that I do this. It isn't because I loose interest but because there are so many things I want to do that I run out of time to finish them. Okay, then do less things...but that is no fun! I have had many therapists say "you are very fragmented, you need to eliminate some of it in your life" but then (as this stand up comic says) I say nay, nay! These are the things that make my life more interesting. Leslie had a fourth grade teacher in Canada who I did a lot of volunteer work for. I really liked her. She asked me to come in and talk to the class about my hobbies. I was honored to be asked to do this so I said "yes". I tried to think about what I would talk about...my favorite..hmmm..which one would that be. At this point in my life I must have been maybe 38 or so I was doing or had tried/learned/done how to tat (a form of lace making), knit, crochet, weaving on a large loom, quilting, sewing and kilt making, silver smithing-jewelry making, guitar, dulcimer...I'm sure I have left out a few and I had a university degree in sculpture including painting, pottery, jewelry and a minor in music. I finally decided that the best topic for me was that I liked to learn new things! The expression that I tell people is that I am a "jack of all trades and a master of none". Not entirely true but close. I guess this does make me a fragmented person but it sure is fun. I am retiring this summer to continue my learning new things life (working does get in the way of this) and finishing up a bunch of loose ends that have been waiting around for me to find time to get back to them. I will make this happen...I may have to live to be 200 or 300 years old to fit it all in...but I will give it a good try.

No comments:

Post a Comment